This message by Pastor Rod Harris was delivered at Trinity Baptist Church on Sunday evening, May 13, 2007, and was taken from the book of Obadiah.
Obadiah is preaching to a secure, prosperous, self-sufficient people. Sounds a lot like us sometimes. What can we learn from this small book? Mark Dever has divided Obadiah in this way: 1. Who are Gods enemies?Â 2. Who are God’s friends?Â 3. Who is God? Pastor Rod uses a similar division in bringing this book to the people at Trinity Church.
- God pronounces judgment on Edom because:
- they are a proud and arrogant nation, and
- they oppose the people of God.
- God shows his protection over his people, even though they are wayward. God’s people are comforted.
- God sovereignly proclaims his reign over all the peoples of the earth in the last line of Obadiah: “…and the kingdom shall be the Lord’s.”
Application for us today: 1. What are we trusting in? 2. Are we telling the whole truth about the nature of God?