This message by Pastor Rod Harris was delivered at Trinity Baptist Church on Sunday evening, June 3, 2007, and was taken from Jeremiah 1:1-10.
Intro: We are living in a pivotal, a monumental moment in history. Whether it be the end of all things or something on the scale of the Protestant Reformation, we are on the verge of great change. We are living easier, but are we living better? Who will lead us out of this age of moral relevance? God is still in the business of providing leaders to guide people out of darkness.
In the call of Jeremiah to the ministry we learn three facts:
- vs. 4,5: God sovereignly calls individuals to assigned tasks.
- vs. 7-9: God graciously equips those whom He calls.
- God in his own wisdom determines the length of service, and the message to be proclaimed. Jeremiah served 40 years
What does this mean to us in the context of the local church?
- God calls his people to work in the church with assigned tasks.
- God equips us to do what he has called us to do.
- God determines when we are through.
It is our responsibility to be faithful to what He has called us to do.