This message by Pastor Rod Harris was delivered at Trinity Baptist Church on Sunday evening, July 22, 2007, and was taken from Jeremiah 3:19-4:4.
Maybe there are times when worship is boring because we are not paying attention.
Could the solutions include our method of presentation? In our mad rush to be exciting we have forgotten that worship is primarily about God.
The first thing we need to ask is “Is this pleasing to the Lord?”, then we come back and ask “Are we making things difficult for the people?” Maybe it’s the content that really matters, not just the style.
In the passage we have:
- An Amazing Thought: The true content of the gospel is an astonishing and terrifying thing. Here’s an amazing thought; the Creator of the universe actually desires a loving relationship with stubborn and sinful rebels.
- A Demanding Requirement: God demands genuine repentance, made up of:
- genuine acknowledgment that God alone is God
- a sincere confession of the sinfulness of sin
- authentic return in brokenness and humility
- A Sober Warning: The wrath of God abides on the unrepentant.
If we are faithful to proclaim this gospel, it is anything but boring. It is astonishing and terrifying.