This message by Rev. Paul Burleson was delivered at Trinity Baptist Church during a series of meetings entitled “Week of Renewal”, on Wednesday evening, October 17, 2007, and was taken from 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.
But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 KJV)
Death of a Christian is only a temporary separation, so when Paul uses the word sleep, he is talking about those who have died.
Ways to Talk About the Seconed Coming of Jesus Christ
- Signs of the Second Coming?
- The nation of Israel
- The coming of the antichrist
- The luke-warm church
- Significance of the Second Coming? It’s very significant for some people:
- For those who love Jesus with their whole heart. These are not people who have never failed Jesus. It takes failing him to learn how much he has done for them, and that he loves them unconditional.
- For those who are going to be found out. Everybody in the church isn’t the Church. Wheat and Tares look a lot alike. At the coming of the Lord Jesus, he and the angles will separate them.
- The Sound of His coming?
- With a shout: Paul’s speculation: When Jesus comes he is going to shout the name of every dead believer. How will they recognize his voice? They have heard it once before when he called them to new life at regeneration.
- Arc Angel is going to speak: Paul’s speculation: The voice of the Arc Angel will say, “Lucifer, in the name of the Lord, release them.”
- The trumpet will sound
In that moment we will stand before him. For some of us he is going to say “Well done.”