Jeremiah #51- An exposition of Jeremiah 37:1-21. This message by Pastor Rod Harris was delivered at Trinity Baptist Church on February 1, 2009.
Have you ever wanted something so bad you ached for it? You wanted it so bad you were just sure you would die if you didn’t get it? I’m sure you had that feeling as a child. For most of us that sort of longing was a regular thing. “You don’t understand mom, if I don’t get that comic book I could die!” Looking back it is amazing I’m still here because I must have been a very fragile child – I was always on the verge of dying. If you’ve ever experienced that intense longing to possess then you’ve also known the pain of disappointment. Not the disappointment of an unfulfilled longing – but the disappointment of getting what you wanted. You got it only to find out it wasn’t exactly what you were expecting. I learned early on, “Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.” The fact is – that’s a pretty good spiritual principle to live by. Be careful what you pray for – God just might let you have it. Our text this evening is found in Jeremiah chapter 37.
Text: Jeremiah 37:1-21
Thesis: Be careful what you pray for…God just might let you have it!
- A wicked heart in search of truth must be careful because it just might find it.
- A faithful heart seeking to be obedient regardless of the cost just might get the chance to pay the price.
- I warn you – be careful what you pray for…God might let you have it.
- The wicked heart seeking truth may find it.
- The faithful heart desiring obedience at any price just might get to pay it.